Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Mediocrity



“I speak for all mediocrities in the world. I am their champion. I am their patron saint. On their behalf I deny Him, your God of no mercy. Your God who tortures men with longings they can never fulfill. He may forgive me: I shall never forgive Him.” Antonio Salieri in Amadeus

Why have I always realized that the back wall of the problems I face usually lies in Mediocrity?
Perhaps because I’ve always seen it as the major negative force that drives people to jealousy, hatred and even wars. I’ve seen that problems usually arise from those mediocre minds either because they have came into power and trying to make up for all the time gone that people looked down upon them, yet deep down, they know how mediocre they are. This turns them to wear masks of power, evil, ego, status, class, money, and you name it, many others. Each mask abuses the other mask and sometimes they are worn interchangeably. Look today at anyone who is causing a problem, it would usually integrate at the end to someone trying hard to cover up for their mediocrity. I’ve met very rich, educated and powerful men, who were so mediocre and very poor, illiterate and peaceful others who were very extraordinary. The continuum is full in the middle between those two extremities. Sometimes, the masks join together to create a mass of mediocre destruction thinking that a collective movement of whatsoever cures their mediocrity.
As Copernicus said about his Mediocrity Principle, “the Earth is not in a central, specially favoured position”. I think we can remove “the Earth” and put “I, You”…and it would be the real mere reality that all is scared to face it; “I am not in a central, specially favoured position”… Reflecting cosmologically further on who is the central, specially favoured position, I came up with a modified similar answer of Copernicus who said that the Sun is the central.
The Sun or the Son?
It is the Son…
He is in the central, specially favoured position…
He is the cure to our all mediocrities.
Living with the Son turns us from mediocre minds to being the center of His universe.
The Earth is not mediocre because it is part of the Sun’s Galaxy.
You are not mediocre because you are part of the Son’s Universe.
That should remind you that Mediocrity is a Sin…

1 comment:

Christa said...

Welcome back my friend! :-)

Following is an Abstratct of Max Lucado's Book "it's not about me" that aims to help us experience the manifest presence of God... and bumping life off self-center...


Can you imagine an orchestra with an “It’s all about me” outlook? Each artist clamoring for self-expression.Tubas blasting nonstop. Percussionists pounding to get attention.The cellist shoving the flutist out of the center- stage chair.The trumpeter standing atop the conductor’s stool tooting his horn. Sheet music disregarded. Conductor ignored.

What do you have but an endless tune-up session!

Harmony? Hardly.

Happiness? Are the musicians happy to be in the group?

Not at all. Who enjoys contributing to a cacophony?

You don’t.We don’t.We were not made to live this way. But aren’t we guilty of doing just that?

No wonder our homes are so noisy, businesses so stress filled, government so cutthroat, and harmony so rare. If you think it’s all about you, and I think it’s all about me, we have no hope for a melody.We’ve chased so many skinny rabbits that we’ve missed the fat one: the God-centered life.

What would happen if we took our places and played our parts? If we played the music the Maestro gave us to play? If we made his song our highest priority?

Would we see a change in families? We’d certainly hear a change.Less “Here is what I want!”More “What do you suppose God wants?”

What if a businessman took that approach? Goals of money and name making, he’d shelve. God reflecting would dominate.

And your body? Ptolemaic thinking says, “It’s mine; I’m going to enjoy it.” God-centered thinking acknowledges,“It’s God’s; I have to respect it.”

We’d see our suffering differently. “My pain proves God’s absence” would be replaced with “My pain expands God’s purpose.”

Talk about a Copernican shift.Talk about a healthy shift.

Life makes sense when we accept our place.The gift of pleasures, the purpose of problems—all for him.The God-centered life works. And it rescues us from a life that doesn’t.

But how do we make the shift? How can we be bumped off self-center?

Attend a seminar, howl at the moon, read a Lucado book? None of these (though the author appreciates that last idea).We move from me-focus to Godfocus by pondering him.Witnessing him. Following the counsel of the apostle Paul:“Beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, [we] are changed into the same image from glory to glory,even as by the Spirit of the Lord”(2 Corinthians 3:18 KJV).

Beholding him changes us. Couldn’t we use a change? Let’s give it a go.Who knows? We might just discover our place in the universe.